Today’s Current Affairs – 21 August 2017 for Competitive Exams
1. China launches first cyber court in e-commerce hub.
China has launched its first cyber court specializing in handling internet-related cases in the e-commerce hub of Hangzhou, amid a spike in the number of online disputes.
- amid a spike in the number of online disputes
- The Hangzhou Internet Court will be located in Hangzhou, capital of east China’s Zhejiang Province.
- China Internet Network Information Center showed that China had about 751 million netizens and 724 million mobile Internet users as of the end of June.
2. India’s first calf born to surrogate cow in Pune.
India’s first calf delivered by a surrogate or recipient cow through In Vitro Fertilisation (IVF) technology carried out in a mobile laboratory in Pune.
- This is for first time IVF procedure was successfully implemented at the farm level with the help of mobile laboratory.
- Delivered by a surrogate or recipient cow through In Vitro Fertilisation (IVF) technology carried out in a mobile laboratory was born in Indapur, Pune.
- Earlier similar experiment was carried out by the National Dairy Research Institute (NDRI) at the lab-level.
- The purpose of producing surrogate calf was to protect indigenous cow breeds in its original form which have been destroyed due to cross-breeding.
3. Shapath Bharadwaj wins bronze at Junior Shotgun World Cup.
Teenager Shapath Bharadwaj on Sunday won a bronze medal in the double trap event while Lakshay Sheoran and Manisha Keer combined to win a bronze in the mixed team trap competition at the ISSF Junior Shotgun World Cup in Porpetto, Italy.
- Won a bronze in the mixed team trap competition at the ISSF Junior Shotgun World Cup in Porpetto, Italy.
- The 15-year old Bharadwaj, from Meerut, shot a 48 in the final to finish behind gold-medal winning Briton James Dedman and Finland’s Miki Ylonen.
4. Kalpit Veerwal Enters Limca Book of Records for Perfect Score in JEE-Mains.
Kalpit Veerwal’s record of 100 percent in the prestigious Joint Entrance Examination-Mains will feature under the “Education Achievements” category of the 2018 edition of the Limca Book of Records.
- The first ever student to have scored 100 percent in the prestigious Joint Entrance Examination-Mains.
- He is from Udaipur.
- Veerwal scored 360 out of 360 in the JEE-Mains this year and is now studying Computer Science at Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay.
5. KCR selected for Agriculture Leadership Award 2017.
Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrasekhara Rao has been selected for the Agriculture Leadership Award 2017.
- The award will be presented on September 5 in New Delhi.
- Rao has been selected for the award for his innovative and yeoman services rendered for the welfare of farmers and farm sector,” the release added.