Justice Jagdish Singh Khehar has sworn in as 44th Chief Justice of India.
- Justice Khehar will be the first Chief Justice from the Sikh community.
- Justice Khehar will have a tenure for over seven months till August 28, 2017.
- He assumed office as a judge of the Supreme Court on September 13, 2011.
- Air Marshal Birender Singh Dhanoa took over as the Chief of the Indian Air Force after Former Air Chief Marshal Arup Raha retired from post.
- The present Air Chief Marshal BS Dhanoa developed the country’s aerial targeting philosophy against potential adversaries and transformed the concepts of air operations of the Indian Air Force to contemporary war fighting practices.
- Dhanoa, who is the 25th chief of the IAF since Independence, was commissioned in the IAF in June 1978 as a fighter pilot.
The Reserve Bank of India has appointed Surekha Marandi as its Executive Director (ED) in place of U S Paliwal, who retired on December 31 last year.
- Marandi will look after Consumer Education and Protection Department, Financial Inclusion and Development Department, and Secretary’s Department.
Public sector lender Bank of Baroda has entered into a partnership with CNX Corporation (CNX) with an objective to provide collateral management services towards the loans against warehouse receipt sanctioned to the farmers through the network of the bank’s branches across the country.
- CNX is engaged in providing warehouse management services relating to commodities and inventories which include collateral management services, field warehousing arrangements, inventory audit services, storage and preservation services, procurement services, testing and certification services, inspection services, monitoring services.
- David R Syiemlieh has been appointed today as the Chairman of the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) by President Pranab Mukherjee.
- Syiemlieh, a UPSC member, has been asked to take over charge on January 4 and will remain the head of the organisation till his retirement on January 21, 2018 or till further orders.
- He will take over from Alka Sirohi, a former IAS officer of the Madhya Pradesh cadre.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the five-day 104th Indian Science Congress at the Srinivasa Auditorium in Sri Venkateswara University in Tirupati.
- ‘Science and Technology for National Development’ would be the focal theme of the Indian Science Congress.
- “By 2030 India will be among top three countries in science and technology,” PM Modi said.
Andhra Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu has launched a new health scheme christened Arogya Raksha offering medical insurance to those who were not covered under any of the existing health schemes of the state government.
- To avail of the benefits of Arogya Raksha, all one needs to do is pay `100 per month per head.
- The health insurance cover is offered up to `2 lakh and free treatment can be had for 1,044 listed health ailments in any of the 432 corporate hospitals and 80 government hospitals in the state.
Gujarat chief minister Vijay Rupani dedicated India’s first laser technology-based advanced AVMS RTO check-post at Shamlaji of Aravalli district.
- The check-post is equipped with advanced ray technology with a cost of Rs 4.72 crore.
- Agni-IV, the Long Range Surface to Surface Ballistic Missile with a range of 4,000 kms was successfully flight tested recently.
- The missile is developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation under the Integrated Guided Missile Development Program.
- The Agni-IV had undergone one failed and five successful tests over the last five years, with the last one being conducted in November 2015.
China’s table tennis Grand Slam champion Li Xiaoxia announced her retirement through social media in Beijing.
- Li helped China win the team gold medal at the Rio Olympic Games in 2016 when she also finished the runner-up in the singles event.